Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Closer

We don't take our toys to day care. That's the rule. Because...well, I don't have to explain, just because.

After a great morning together, eating scrambled eggs, brushing our teeth, getting dressed and getting our coats on he hit me with it: "Daddy, which car do you think I should take with me today[brief pause as if he were giving me a choice]? The green one or the orange one?"

You see, either one I chose puts him in the power spot.  He's got me, he's given me two great choices. As he maintains eye contact he is confident he has closed the deal. I even considered which hotwheel I would want to take to work.  Which one would look the coolest on my desk, racing around my desktop keyboard.

Being the sales coach that I am, I chose to let him work on his overcoming objections skills by telling him I had to "think about it".

One day I'll teach him how to overcome that one.

No comments: